Easily available vegan food products high in protein
Vegan – a very popular term these days – was coined in 1944 by Donald Watson, who was an animal rights activist. Being vegan means avoiding the consumption of dairy or meat products. A common concern with vegetarian and vegan diets is that they may lack protein, as meat is thought to be higher in protein than plants.
But some plant-based foods contain more protein than others.
Here is a curated list to add to your diet:
- The food ingredient readily available in almost every Indian household is lentils. Lentils are an excellent source of protein, fiber, folate, manganese and iron. The fiber in lentils promotes good bacteria in the colon, which is great for a healthy gut.
- Kidney beans, black beans, and chickpeas contain high amounts of protein per serving.
They are an excellent source of complex carbohydrates, fiber, iron, folate, phosphorus, potassium and manganese. A diet rich in beans helps lower cholesterol and manage blood sugar and blood pressure.
- A serving of green peas covers more than 25% of daily fiber, folate, manganese, and vitamins A, C, and K, excluding protein. They are also a good source of iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and copper.
- Oats contain a higher quality of protein than other commonly consumed grains such as rice and wheat. Oats also contain magnesium, zinc, phosphorus and folic acid.
- Nuts and seeds and their by-products are excellent sources of protein. They are also excellent sources of fiber and healthy fats, iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamin E. They also contain antioxidants and beneficial plant compounds.
- High-protein vegetables include broccoli, spinach, asparagus, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and Brussels sprouts. Sweet corn is also an excellent source of protein.
- Tofu is made from soybean curds. It is naturally gluten-free and low in calories but contains a very large number of vegetable proteins. It also contains amino acids, fatty acids and calcium.
This list can be a guide for anyone interested in incorporating plant-based protein into their diet.
Read all the latest news, breaking news, watch the best videos and live TV here.